IFRC Protection, Gender, and Inclusion (PGI) in WASH Guidance Note
This guidance note provides an overview of key PGI issues to consider when assessing, designing, implementing and monitoring both long-term and humanitarian WASH programmes, in the Red Cross Red Crescent context.
Version adapated for the Philliipines
An additional, related resource is the Questions to guide WASH programming: Integrating PGI and good community engagement
Tools to support menstrual hygiene management and accessible WASH facilities.
Standard emergency latrine or bathing area designs are often not appropriate for people who menstruate, nor accessible to those with disabilities. To contribute to solving this problem, the IFRC, Lebanese Red Cross, British Red Cross and Arup implemented a project to design and pilot MHM friendly and accessible emergency WASH facilities. This work was supported by Elhra’s Humanitarian Innovation Fund (HIF).
Adaptable designs for i) a raised latrine block, ii) bathing block, and iii) trench latrine, including construction drawings, bill of quantities, and step-by-step instructions are available here:
- Manual for Template Designs – MHM friendly and Accessible emergency WASH Facilities (without appendices)
- Manual for Template Designs – MHM friendly and Accessible emergency WASH Facilities (Full version – with appendices)
- Raised Latrine Block drawings and step-by-step
- Bathing Block drawings and step-by-step
- Trench Latrine drawings and step-by-step