The policy focuses on three areas of PGI work:
- Institutional capacity
- Programmes and operations
- Advocacy, partnerships and learning
Adherence to the policy and implementation of the priorities it establishes is supported by a number of tools, in particular:
- PGI Operational Framework 2022-2025 - providing more detailed explanation and guidance on how to implement the aims of the policy in all three areas
- PGI Organisational Assessment Toolkit - providing technical guidance on how to address the institutional aspects of the policy
- The minimum standards for PGI in emergencies and the related PGI in emergencies toolkit - providing technical guidance on how to implement the programme and operations aspects of the policy.
The report: PGI 2016-2021: achievements and lessons learned outlines the developments that led up to the policy.
The policy is also available in the other working languages of the IFRC (designed version is in process)